Sunday, November 16, 2008

Peanut Butter Granola






I have adjusted this recipe for the last several years and we think it is about perfect. It makes a large batch but doesn't last long at our house. Our three year old is usually up at 7:00 asking for "oatmeal". We all like to eat it with my homemade yogurt. The peanut butter flavor is very mild but we think it adds just the right touch.



Peanut Butter Granola

1 cup oil (I use coconut oil.)
1 cup honey
1 cup peanut butter
12 cups rolled (old fashioned) oatmeal
2 cups wheat germ
2 cups coconut
2 cups sunflower seed

Heat oil, honey, and peanut butter together until smooth. Mix dry ingredients together. Pour oil mixture over dry ingredients and mix well. Spread in two jelly-roll pans. Toast in 275 degree oven for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

Tips: I place one pan on the upper oven rack and one on the lower rack and switch them each time I stir.

Variations: After cooling, raisins or other dry fruit may be added, but we usually don't. You may also add nuts to the recipe. Just substitute one of the ingredients such as wheat germ or sunflower seeds, or some of the oatmeal.

I buy most of the ingredients at our local bulk food store. Raw wheat germ and raw sunflower seeds are much cheaper then toasted. I figure I'm going to toast them in the recipe anyway!

6 comments :

  1. Yummm... I have never tried peanut butter granola before. Might have to give it a try for a change. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great recipe to try! What bulk food store do you shop at? I'm looking for one a little closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite bulk food store is Martin's Farm Market. Not that I've tried many. They are close to me and have the things I need. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, gina, for coming through again for me! i've been looking for a peanut butter granola recipe, & yours looks delicious! i'm printing it off right now; thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to give this in a 1/2 gallon jar as a Christmas gift. How long to you think it will last?? Will it taste stale after a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has lasted a few weeks in my cupboard and still tasted fine. I would store it in the freezer until right before you are ready to give it away so that they get it as fresh as possible. You could also recommend they freeze it if they are not going to eat it right away.

      What a nice gift idea!
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails