Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cornmeal Rolls


We seem to eat a lot more rolls in the summer. I like to have rolls in the freezer for an impromptu picnic. Though the sandwich buns recipe is the one I use most frequently, sometimes I am looking for variety and make cornmeal rolls. This recipe is one our family has enjoyed for years. The cornmeal adds a golden color and wonderful flavor. They are equally good as dinner rolls or cut large for sandwiches. My favorite use is with pork barbecue!

1/3 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
2 cup milk

Mix and cook on stove until thickened. Cool until lukewarm.

1/4 cup warm water
1 T. yeast

Dissolve yeast in water.

2 eggs
4 cups flour (or more, I use half whole wheat.)

Combine the cornmeal mixture and the yeast water with the eggs and mix well. Add flour until you have a soft dough. Knead for five or more minutes. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise. Punch down. Roll out and form into rolls. I like to cut them with a biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheet, brush with melted butter and dust with cornmeal. Rise until double. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

3 comments :

  1. I noticed you said you roll dough out, cut with a biscuit cutter and then put them on a cookie sheet... do you not roll them into a ball?
    AND... With all that handling, does it make them tough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering about how you shape your rolls. After rolling out your dough, you said.."I like to cut them with a biscuit cutter. Place on greased baking sheet, brush with melted butter and dust with cornmeal. Rise until double." Does doing all that to the dough make them tough?
    And, how thick do you roll them to...
    And, after you cut them w/biscuit cutter, do you then roll them into a ball? or do you JUST cut them out with biscuit cutter (flat)? sorry for the confustion on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie-
    Because this is a yeast dough, it will not get tough from over-handling. Yeast doughs like to be kneaded. Baking soda doughs, like biscuits or muffins WILL get tough with handling.

    You may make balls if you wish. I do sometimes. I just find I can get very uniform rolls if I roll it out and cut instead. You make them however you wish. They do look flat but as they raise they puff up.

    Hope that helps!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails