Saturday, March 13, 2010

Growing Plants on a window sill

I like to start a few plants in the spring. But I really don't have a good spot to grow seedlings. Right now I have a small folding table next to the window in my bedroom trying to catch enough sunlight for some tiny alpine strawberry plants.

In Ed's Garden Gazette, there was a tip to maximize your light by reflecting the sunlight back to the plants. I was going to build a small unit like described when I remembered my husband's solar oven. It was just the right size to hold my plants and seems to be working well so far.

I'm going to copy the whole tip as found in the magazine. If you are trying to start some plants on your window sill, maybe you'll find it helpful!

Window Box Trick
by Ed Beachy

Try this method to yield nice, straight seedlings on a window sill. Generally, they lean toward light, as light is vital to a plant's growth.This results in leggy, spindly plants.Providing light from all directions will produce a strong, stocky, straight plant. It's as simple as using aluminum foil as a reflector.

I used OSB board, stapling a cover of foil to it. I screwed the three sides pieces and the top together. Another option is using a cardboard box, removing the bottom and one side. Plan your set-up so it can be lifted to water the plants.

When starting seeds early in the year (January/February), you will have greater growing success by adding overhead supplemental lightly to enhance short-day, natural light. Design your window box large enough to maintain a 2-foot grow light, which supplies ample light for a flat of plants. Two hours of grow light in the morning and two hours in the evening will produce good results.

Reprinted by permission from Ed's Garden Gazette.

2 comments :

  1. I will try to set up something like that here. I never feel like my seedlings get enough light on my window seat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip. I've started my tomatoes and I do have an issue with getting enough natural light. I love simple projects like this. Today I'm hoping to make some of these and start my celery seeds, too. Thanks for leaving a comment and question about vermiculture, I did answer it over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails