Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sourdough Waffles

We love waffles.

Waffle Wednesday has become a family tradition that we all look forward to. More than once, on a Tuesday morning, my daughter has walked out to the dining room table and registered dismay that it wasn't Wednesday yet and there were no waffles.

For the first seven years of our marriage, I made buttermilk waffles. Occasionally I'd try a new recipe but Ed always asked me to go back to my old original. We enjoyed the beaten egg white recipe for a few weeks, but it meant some extra steps that I'm not always excited about so early in the morning.

My husband knows that I just enjoy trying new recipes and honestly want his opinion. A year ago, I first made these sourdough waffles. I thought I'd hear once again "I'll take the normal waffle recipe." But I had found a new normal. I've adjusted, adapted, tried other sourdough recipes and decided this is the winner. I never liked all whole wheat flour in waffles until finding this recipe. I think the overnight soak lightens the flavor, or something.

Come over on Wednesday morning and the aroma of sourdough waffles will greet you at the door. Just don't expect there to be any left for you unless you get here before the children are up!

Sourdough Waffles

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup of active sourdough starter
2 cup milk
2 T honey ( I just drizzle some in.)
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

In the evening: Mix flour, starter, and milk together. Cover lightly and sit at room temperature overnight.

In the morning: Whisk together the eggs and butter. Mix into flour mixture with honey and salt. Sprinkle the baking soda over the batter and stir in just until combined. The soda should immediately react to the sourdough and become bubbly. Cook in waffle iron. My iron holds one cup of batter and cooks for 3 1/2 minutes.

We love these spread with peanut butter and syrup!

15 comments :

  1. They look lovely! I hope everyone enjoyed them.

    Blessings to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love waffles! I have a really yummy from-scratch recipe that I use. Thanks for your previous post about the sourdough starter. That's something I've been curious about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! My kids love waffles too.
    ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina,

    I never add the sweets to the waffle or pancake batter simply because plenty of sweets get there after they are cooked.

    By the way, leaving out the sweets my bride who is diabetic can still eat these. And they are scrumptious.

    Winston Bearkiller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this recipe for I love waffles. I have slowly been reading your other recipes from the earliest posting on your blog. I am finding quite a few to my liking. I am trying to cook more from scratch every week and your recipes are hitting the spot. Thanks you for keeping your blog going. NatalieJoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re-posting comment. I am going to try your recipe cause I love waffles. I also have been going back thru your old posts for more recipes. I am cooking more and more from scratch am looking for tried and true simple ingredients recipes which is how you cook. So I hope you don't mind I will be saving quite a few recipes to my computer from your blog to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend Margo pointed me to this post because I just posted a raving review of our new favorite waffle recipe---sourdough! Like you, we went from once a week buttermilk but now we are sold on this new version. They're so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made waffles from scratch before, but these were so easy and AMAZING! Best waffles I have ever had. I can't wait to try other recipes you have posted! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were craving these last minute for dinner tonight and I was worried that they wouldn't turn out since I didn't have 8 hrs for the batter to sit out. I let it sit out for 2 hours and they turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really dumb question: Is there any chance these would work without the baking soda? We have allergies to soda and baking powder, but I'm interested in trying sourdough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are delicious! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made these for the first this morning. Skipped the honey and used half whey for the milk. They are so delicious! I'm new to sourdough and have been using your recipes. The crackers are also soo tasty. Thanks for posting so us newbies can learn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these this morning. I think they are a wonnderful whole wheat recipe. We all thought they were good but some of are still getting used to the subtle sour undertones. I feel great knowing I am bolstering our families nutrition. I look forward to trying the rest of your sourdough recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this sourdough waffles recipe. I live in the Scottish Highlands and as with others in this crisis, I’ve turned to baking my own bread etc and finding this recipe for waffles comfort food

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your waffle recipe! But also your focacia, & pizza dough, & whole grain bread recipes. I only use my Sourdough just enough to keep it alive... But it's almost 2years old! I feel like I should celebrate! One thing that you haven't mentioned,,, be sure to share your starter w friends! That way if yours dies,,, you can get some back! VERY important.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails