Monday, January 28, 2013

Caramelized Onion Breakfast Casserole

I love caramelized onions and I love new ideas for breakfast. This new-to-me breakfast recipe was the perfect find.

This casserole is substantial enough for lunch or dinner if you don't care for a big breakfast.


Caramelized Onions Breakfast Casserole

4 strips bacon
1 onion, sliced thin
2 cups broccoli
5 eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 cups bread cubes (a crusty sourdough is perfect)
4 oz. Swiss cheese (or whatever kind of cheese you prefer)

In skillet, fry bacon. Remove bacon and crumble. In drippings, cook onion on medium-low for about 15 minutes until nice and browned. In a pan, cook broccoli until almost tender.

In bowl, combine eggs, milk, and seasonings. Stir in bread, brocolli, onion, cheese, and bacon. Transfer to greased 9x9 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.

Bake covered casserole in 350 oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve.

4 comments :

  1. I think I just found supper for tomorrow night! Thanks! Nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...yummy! I love carmelized onions! And I love savory bread puddings! I make one with mushrooms and Parmesan cheese, that has a lot of onions in it as well. The recipe calls for just sautéing until soft, but I think you've inspired me try carmelizing them next time. This recipe will be a must-try for my family as well, we LOVE broccoli! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... This sounds wonderful. My hubby and me love anything with onions. I'll be trying this one. Hope you are having a wonderful week.
    Many Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very delicious! My hubby and I also love onions so I know it will be popular here.
    Blessings,
    Betsy
    Http://www.betsy-thesimplelifeofaqueenblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails