Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Out of the Health Maze, Into God's Peace - Part 2


Peace versus Confusion

“Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.” (Psalm 119:165)

The end of this verse could be translated: “they shall have no stumbling block.” When I grope around in the health maze, my footsteps are not steady and my heart is not at peace. Great peace, abundant peace, is the result of loving God's law. I need to get my eyes off man's writings and back to the Word of the Lord.

Books written by men change with each passing health fad. A quick skim of health literature from the past few decades will find diets focused on low-fat, no-cholesterol, high-fiber, no-carb, low-sodium, omega-3, antioxidants—the list goes on and on. Every few years, new articles emerge and labels on food packages change to reflect the latest study.

I have researched some studies on which nutritionists base their health claims. The studies often contain shaky data and scanty evidence, and are sometimes misleading. If those who spend their lives studying nutrition can't agree and often change their minds, no wonder I have been confused.

But God's Word never changes. Hebrews 13:8 says “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. I can find heart-peace in a God who won't pull out the rug from under my feet and tell me that everything I read and believed in His Word is now obsolete.

So what does God's Word say on the topic of health and nutrition?  We will look at that topic in the next post.

Read the whole series - Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5

4 comments :

  1. I'm enjoying the start of this! I sooooo agree and your heart rings true with me. Fads come and go - but the Lord does care about our health and how we care for His temple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree! I, too, have succumbed to the pressure and bought many of these books in the never ending quest for healthy eating for my family. They have left me more confused than ever. One thing I do agree with most of them is the fact that we eat way too many processed foods.. I'm looking forward to taking this journey with you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great. It is as if you have been in the trenches of health choices with me. It does get overwhelming but you are right that God's word is steady and unchanging and that is a great comfort as my head swirls with all the data.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails